Saturday, October 29, 2005

Hanford Howl Tournament

[Oct 22-23]

We hadn't been to the Hanford Howl for two years but we still remain the three-time champions. This year we had cool costumes to boot along with a great evil laugh cheer. We decided to be skeletons, using masking tape to line bones on our clothing. We also added to face paint for that special intimidating touch.


Back row: Jeremy, Ester, Cody, Marita, Chris, Jon, Janna, Nate
Front row: Grace, Lin, Ian, Josh, Dean


I hadn't played ultimate in over a year and a half, so I was feeling a bit nervous about playing again. Although I was slow, I actually did pretty well (for someone who doesn't exercise enough) and even caught a few scores and threw my famous hammer.

There were also some fun teams out there. One team was dressed to the theme of Monopoly, another were all 80s aerobic instructors, and the funniest was a group of holy people, like the former Pope, Noah, Catholic school girls, and an angle.


The pope visits our team

We stayed at Chez Stevens, who hosted by the lovely Lynn and Sam. They cooked us some great meals and we spent the evening playing vicious card games and watching Nate bounce around after a liter of Dr. Pepper. Somehow, there was a strange version of the President card game with all sorts of lame rules. Despite this war against the underprivileged social classes, I worked my way up from "Garbage Collector" to "President" in three turns. Ha! Next time, the "social rule" is in effect!

A week later, I'm still a little sore and the bruise from the impromptu dodgeball game is almost fading. I'm looking forward to playing more ultimate in the spring.


Making up Jeremy, Lin, Marita


Taping out the bones. Ian decided to be a "cat" with odd structures.


Marita and Dean. Notice my hip bones.


Dean

Want to see more pictures? Check out Lin's photo site here.

1 Comments:

At 5:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hello deanboy and maritagirl.

it has been a pleasure reading about your adventures...many years since we were ripping it up in the OUTDOOR Haus!

Yoav Daniel Bar-Ness
www.geog.utas.edu.au/yoav
redpanda@fastmail.fm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home